Wednesday, February 24, 2010

FebComChall: Well, I made SOME progress yesterday..!

Yes, that lame acronym is for the February Comic Book Challenge.

Very quickly, yesterday the Apple Corps had a short meeting, shortened because of me. I wanted to go to a play at Hilbert College (Buffalo Laboratory Theater's "Cyrano"), so I had to leave at 7:00. We usually go until they close up the upstairs cafe at Wegman's around 9:00 pm.

Plus, I shortened it even more (well, my end of it) by showing up over an hour later than the time I told LT I was going to be there. I thought I'd be there by 3:00, and I got there at 4:20.

Man, I am SO unpunctual since I've been on disability and not going to work!
The biggest challenges I have time-wise is twice a week going to Physical therapy, and I'm glad I get there on the DAY of my appointment! My therapists are all sweetie-pies, but total enablers.
"Hi, I'm sorry I'm late! I'm, like, an hour after I was supposed to be here... should I just go away or come back or what?"And they usually laugh and say it's okay, just sit down and we'll heat up your arm.
I'm totally spoiled.
That first day... hell, WEEK that I'm back to work is going to be brutal.

Anyway, so I got to the AC meeting very late.
And I was kvetching to LT about how much I suck (because I do...). I had gotten nowhere with my damn FebComChall (ugh!)(re: that acronym, not the challenge itself).
I said, I just need to crap something crappy out, but that has a beginning, middle and end.
I just need to finish something, even if it's awful-- because that's my huge problem: being unable to finish ANYTHING.
So, LT goes, alright, then we'll find something for you to do your simple story on. She was holding a copy of the National Gepographic in her hand. She started flipping pages.

LT: "Say when."
Uh..!
She had already flipped through the book a couple times while staring at me.
Finally, I focused on the book, and when she started flipping, I took a breath and said, "When!"
And she had flipped through the entire book already (well, it's not like it was as thick as the Bible or a Funk and Wagnalls). So...I got stuck with the Kahlua ad on the back cover.
So, I read the ad copy.
Hmph.
And I started writing my story.
I took some liberties with the story "materials" being given to me, mind you, but I kinda sorta have a general story.
So, with LT as my ongoing witness/beta, or whatever you wanna call it, I'm going to rough out an outline by per page breakdown this weekend and then start drawing up some character sketches and doing some writing. Should be... interesting.
More to come.

And thanks, LT!
And sorry, as usual, for always keeping you waiting at Wegman's!

I suck!

No comments:

Post a Comment