Tuesday, December 31, 2019

DRAWING BOARD DIARY #4: A CHRISTMAS MONSTROSITY (a work in progress)

Friday, December 13, 10:11 pm

Okay, I don't have time to really get into it, I'm just starting this post to document my progress. I'm working on the poster/DVD cover for Rhonda and Mark Parker's latest Beaver Alley Studios' film, A CHRISTMAS MONSTROSITY. Even though I knew about it and was formally asked to work on this back on November 20, I really didn't put anything on paper until... today. This morning. While I was AT Dunn Tire in Lockport waiting for my front and rear brakes to be installed and then my inspection to be done (which expired in November, by the way). And the deadline? YESTERDAY. December 12.
Yes. It's official. I'm a fuck-up. A FUCK-UP.
Anyway, whatever, I have to come up with some damn thing.
I'll be back. Oh, don't you worry..!

Saturday, December 14, 6:33 pm

So, I started my poster design yesterday morning at Dunn Tire. I was there at 8:30 and the estimated time for replacing front and rear brakes and doing my inspection was "a couple hours." So, I figured three to be safe.
So... I finally get out of there at... 1:30. I'm ready to head to Burger King or Wendy's and get some lunch. Except there's a rubbing noise in the front when I pull out of the parking lot. Fuckkkk.
So, I go back and it turns out that one of the brake pads was a little thicker then it should be so it was rubbing inside the rotor (er, the brake drum? Something brake-y.). An hour later, 2:30, they replace the brake pad and I'm finally out for good.
In that 6 hour period I didn't get much actual drawing done, but I did do some.
However between then and now i wound up ditching the original drawing and starting over. I like the basic composition but not how I drew Sid Blitzen's character. And I thought erasing what I had and re-drawing it on the same page would be messy, so I started from scratch. The original drawing was pretty sketchy, so it wasn't that big a loss, mostly psychological. Anyway, I started my re-draw and slowly started re-roughing in basic shapes and figures. Not a lot, though. And then we went out today to visit a friend visiting from out-of-town and then we went shopping at Whole Foods.
More or less that brings me up to date and to sum up:

    1. I have to really buckle down on this fucking poster. It was supposed to be DONE 2 days ago.
    2. I really need to finish this within the next 24 hours, which is, well, impossible.
    3. So, stop TYPING, Kimmel and start DRAWING!

(to be continued)

Sunday, December 15, 12:19 am

Well, I've been sort of drawing. Man, I wish I had more confidence in my "design"/composition. Part fo the reason I'm going so slow is because I AM slow, but part of it I'm unsure of what I'm doing. I wish I had better screen shots, I wish I had a better sense of what the film is like. Part fo me thinks it's an outrageous comedy, part of me thinks it's perhaps more horror than I realize because Rhonda (the director) wanted the poster to be kind of dark in spirit. So, I think the "tone" of the poster is throwing me. i don't think i have a tone, or what tone there is seems wrong, maybe?
Ugh, I have no time actually to debate this. I should just plow ahead and finish this damn thing and we'll see what happens.
And I have a LOT of drawing left to do yet.

Monday, December 16, 8:08 am

I'm still not done, but this was where I was up to in my progress yesterday at 11:30 am when I sent Rhonda a photo of what I had done so far, the first time she saw any of it since I started. Trying to finish it up today before work.



For the most part, she liked it. But, mostly she just wanted it done.
Today I have to be at work at 2:00 and then right after, I go to the December meeting of BM-VM at the Screening Room at 7:00 pm.
I'm going to try and finish the pencilling today beforeI go to work. At the very latest, finish it up tonight after the meeting. And then go ahead with inking it and then coloring it in with colored pencils. So, if I can get it all done, I'll try to get it Rhonda before work tomorrow, which would mean getting to her house in Lockport by 3:00 (I have to work at 4:00). Worst case scenario: I finish it Wednesday morning and give it to her then. I'm off Wednesday.
Okay, I'll be back.

Tuesday, December 17, 11:22 am

I told Rhonda I'd have this poster thing done by Wednesday. Hopefully I won't make a liar out of myself. This morning my initial game plan was to finish pencilling the design and then start inking it if I had time before I had to be at work (4:00 pm), but so farI've yet to sit down and draw. At one point I thought i'd be drawing by 8:00 am. Instead I ate breakfast, did some laundry (washing, folding yesterday's laundry and putting another load in as the first load dries), and some dishwashing. Shit, I gotta get this thing done! And then I received a text that tim at work wasn't feeling well and he was hoping I could come in at 2:00. Uh, no. But, I'll try to get there by 3;00. Actually, I may just leave at 2:00, stop at Country Max beforehand to get bird seed, then go to work. Shit. time always just... flies. Man, I really need to get better about my handling deadlines and managing my time in general.
Whatever. I'll be back.

11:44 am.

FUCK, there's NO way I'm going to have the pencilling done before I go, even if I didn't leave early for work. Whatever. I gotta just keep whacking away at the damn thing... Dammit.

Wednesday, December 18, 10:53 am

Man, yesterday was all distractions and ended with a lot of cart-pulling at work. I was too wiped to really do any drawing after work last night like I had hoped. Leaving almost 90 minutes after I was scheduled to leave didn't help either.
Anyway, I HAVE TO FINISH TODAY.
I still have penciling to do.
Hope to finish that in the next few hours.
We'll see..!

10:55 pm

Holy fucking shit. I'm STILL working on the pencilling.
I don't know if I am going to have it finished by tomorrow morning... and I really need to. CRAP.

Saturday, December 21, 1:54 pm

Okay! We're back! Howdy!
Cutting to the chase, I more or less finished. I did NOT quite finish what I had hoped to do, but as time ran out for me, I was able to finish it enough so that Rhonda and Mark could have the artwork and make their DVD covers for the DVDs in time for the film's premiere at the Screening Room on Saturday, December 21 aka.: TODAY.


Pencilling took freaking FOREVER. Here's where I was with the drawing at 3:55 am on Thursday morning. Yes, I told Rhonda I'd have it finished late Wednesday night (I figured it would be after midnight, and into early Thursday morning, at the very least). Shortly thereafter, I started inking.


No comments:

Post a Comment